|Season 3, Episode 22|
|Air date||19 Apr 1995|
|Written by||Kathryn Ford, Julie Kirgo|
|Directed by||James Keach|
The Permanence of Change
Due to starvation, Black Kettle takes his tribe south to Fort Cobb in Indian Territory (modern day Oklahoma) where they are promised food and supplies.General Custer has been ordered to follow the tribe. When Dr. Mike and Sully learn this, they fear the worst and follow themselves as quickly as they can (with Cloud Dancing) to warn Black Kettle, only to find that they're too late to prevent the massacre.
Due to seeing all the dead from the massacre and only finding 1 survivor (a baby covered by No Harm Come to Him), Dr. Mike looses her hope. It is only restored after Sully arranges to have Cloud Dancing teach her the rest of what he knows about Cheyenne remedies. During all this, Sully stays strong for Dr. Mike and the children, waiting for later to find his own way to deal with the tragedy.
- Dr. Mike is making a buckskin shirt as a wedding present for Sully
- Cloud Dancing joins the Dog Soldiers attacking ranches
- Sully talks Dr. Mike into going to Custer's dinner
- Little Thunder
- 7 railroad workers after an attack by dog soldiers
- Sully shot by dog soldiers at Washita right after learning there were no survivors, besides the baby