Byron Sully (most commonly called Sully) is a mountain man and friend to the Cheyenne, who is played by Joe Lando. He is the husband of Dr. Michaela Quinn, father of Katie Sully and adoptive father of Matthew, Colleen and Brian Cooper. His best friends are Cloud Dancing and Daniel Simon.
Byron Sully is born on a ship somewhere between England and America to Mr. Sully, a regular farmer, and his wife, Mrs. Sully. When they move to New York, Mr. Sully misses working on the land and dies. Mrs. Sully cannot cope with it and drowns herself in the Hudson River when Sully is ten. After he has lost both his parents, Sully meets Daniel Simon who becomes his best friend. They grow up at the docks together and in 1859 go to Pine's Peak near Colorado Springs to work as miners, in the hope of finding gold. In the summer of 1859, when working in a silver mine near Cripple Creek, Sully is trapped in a cave-in for 22 days and Daniel digs him out, saving his life. In Colorado Springs, Sully meets Abagail Bray and Daniel moves on. Sully and Abagail fall in love and marry against her father's wishes and Sully builds a homestead for her outside of town. Abagail gets pregnant, but she dies in childbirth along with the baby, Hanna, in 1865. After his tragic loss, Sully joins the army, in the hope of dying in the war. He becomes a sniper and his first target is a confederate major. Sully is told that the man is working on explosives and that killing him would save many lives. Sully kills the man, but feels very guilty about it. He finds out that the man had family and that he has been lied to. The major was not working on explosives but a business man. With his death, the war contracts and his money go to his rival. Sully deserts and goes back to Colorado Springs, where he joins the Cheyenne and adopts their way of life.
Season 1 (1867 - 1868)Edit
- Pilot - He lets Dr. Mike rent the homestead he used to live on and later helps her find Brian after he runs away. At Christmas time he brings gifts. He gives Brian Pup (wolf pup) and Dr. Mike a shingle to hang.
- Epidemic - He makes sure Dr. Mike gets to Cloud Dancing after she becomes sick with influenza and runs out of quinine. At the end of the episode he kisses her on the forehead while she's sleeping.
- The Visitor
- Law of the Land - Brings Brian hunting and starts to teach him some of the Cheyenne beliefs
- The Healing - He helps Dr. Mike with Loren's hernia operation, then gives him some blood.
- Father's Day
- Bad Water - goes with Dr. Mike to help her get a water sample from Harding's mill.
- The Great American Medicine Show
- A Cowboy's Lullaby - goes to find Dr. Mike after she goes to check on Mr. Silver and helps her get away from the bear.
- Running Ghost - goes to Rankin to carry & message & end up getting beaten up.
- The Prisoner - does his best to help keep peace while Custer is in town and to help Dr. Mike rescue Cloud Dancing.
- Happy Birthday - first kiss between him and Dr. Mike
- Rite of Passage - helps guide Matthew through his vision quest
- "Speaking the truth is what makes people trust you." (Father's Day)